Sunday, July 19, 2009

Mad Science 400th post!

Yes, it is my 400th post. And for my post I want to show you the fun Lucas and I had yesterday. We went to the science family fun at the Power and Light district. They had demonstrations and hands on activities. Lucas really enjoyed himself.
They used a hair dryer to make a hot air balloon.
I can't remember what chemical they are lighting on fire. But luckily she did this several times, because the wind was causing problems. So, I was able to capture it on film.
After a demonstration on air, we did some off the hands on activities.
Made slime.
Touched bubbles from dry ice. And saw what dry ice does when it put in water.
This is one of those cones you put money in and watch it swirl around.
Make a tornado. It was hard to do, so I had to help Lucas to really get the water to spin for the funnel to appear.
Lucas is trying to keep a ping pong ball in the air by blowing in a straw. It is much harder than it looks.
Making a bubble pipe.
Look at those bubbles.
Playing w/paste.
Then it was time for more experiments. This guy promised to blow up stuff. Unfortunately, I wasn't able to get any of that in film. Because they were one shot deals. So, use your imagination. He did an experiment that filled the blue balloon w/hydrogen. To show why hydrogen gas is not what you want to fill up your hot air balloon.
See the difference.
We grabbed a snack for Lucas while we waited in the wax hand line for more than 2 hours. They dipped your hand in wax and then dipped in in colored wax. Looked cool. Radio Disney came and performed. Played games on stage and gave out prizes. Their was a remote controlled car near the line. So, Lucas took a turn controlling it. When it was finally Lucas' turn, he had to stick his hand in ice water that was so cold. And he just couldn't tolerate it. It would have been cool, but oh well. We were able to do lots of other fun stuff.

1 comment:

Julie said...

Looks like fun! Glad Lucas is enjoying his mommy time! :)

Happy 400th post! What...no giveaway? LOL!