Wednesday, February 11, 2009

My brother Andrew

My story today is about my oldest brother, Andrew (the one in the middle). Since tomorrow is his birthday (yes, our bdays are 1 week apart), this if for him. I am not sure what Fred is doing in this pic, but he was always a goof growing up. And where am I looking at anyway. . . . . Sorry, I got side tracked. Anyway, it was either 1986 or 1987 when Andrew had one of his worst birthdays ever. I am not sure what started it, but Andrew had done something bad and was in trouble the week of his birthday. So, brillant that he is, he decides to make my parents bed to help make up for it. Now, you should know something about my parents. They collect things. LOTS of things, LOTS of EXPENSIVE things, LOTS of EXPENSIVE UN REPLACEABLE things. And they display them everywhere (reasonable I know). Now Andrew knows they collect things and his vision is just fine. But nearly being a teenager was maybe affecting his thinking abilities. Because he whips off my parents comforter and tosses it behind him. And you guessed it, breaks my Dad's porcelain clown collect. Never fear, they were able to repair the damage. But on my brother's birthday, I was home sick from school. And this was when we were living in Germany in non-government housing. And we had to the entrance of the neighborhood to catch the bus to school. And it was VERY cold and snowing that day. We were supposed to wait for the bus for like 30min after its scheduled time in bad weather because DUH buses aren't always on time in the bad weather. Well, since I wasn't with my brothers at the bus stop, my brillant brothers decide it's cold and snowing and they are NOT waiting 30min for the bus. So, they come home. And I guess I should tell you that I told on my brothers for everything that they did wrong. And they KNEW that when they came home that I would know they didn't wait long enough and I WOULD tell. My brothers are very smart, I promise. Back to the story. When they got home, I informed them that they would tell on them. But they bit the bullet, because they had to call mom (who teaches at the school that we went to) to tell her that they missed the bus. And she knew that they hadn't waited long enough. So, at this point you would think since they are already in trouble, that they would be on their best behavior. NO, not my brothers. Karate kid was HUGE back then, so they decided to practice their moves. In the HOUSE! And in Germany, a lot of the house have a front door into a small entryway and an inner door into the house. And a lot of the doors are GLASS! EXPENSIVE glass. And my brother Andrew kicked my brother Fred through the inner beveled glass door. I don't think I will EVER forget that moment. I was watching my STUPID brothers from the living room. Memorizing every detail to retell the story to my mom later, and I was stunned when Fred went through the door. And I should let you know that at the top of the door the glass had broken into a V-shaped shard and we are lucky that Fred wasn't seriously hurt by the whole thing. And for whatever reason, I felt compelled to say "I am telling Mom!" Duh! Like she wouldn't notice. After that my brothers were low key for the rest of that day. We talk about that week and laugh now. But my parents were NOT laughing when they got home. And despite the fact that I turned my brothers in at the drop of a hat, we are close and there isn't a thing I wouldn't do for them. Or they for me. Happy Birthday Andrew!

9 comments:

Julie said...

LOL! I love hearing those stories...except when it involves my hubby going through a door!!

I love that you were a tattle-tell too. Must be normal for the baby girls to tell on their big brothers! :)

Sally-Ann said...

Ahh, the memories!! My hubby and his family have loads of such stories and with each telling they get more and more elaborate!
Thanks for sharing!!

Anonymous said...

You little snitch! jk (:>)
It sounds like there was quite a lot of fun at your house over the years.

My brother and I had many moments like those that you had with your brothers. One time when mom was at the store we were rough housing and I broke a lamp. I glued it back together before my mom came home and was stupid enough to think she wouldn't notice! Ha!
It was trashed,...but mom forgave me.

Thanks for sharing!

Paula said...

Wow I have a few memories like that about brothers too! Thanks for sharing.

Kristin said...

Oh man! I missed all the action growing up as an only child! LOL

Unknown said...

Boys are SO ornery (and girls are such tattle tales!). hee hee

How funny (well not really) that he went through the glass door. My husband's brothers put his head through a well when he was a kid. Boys!

I only had sisters - we were perfect little angels! hee hee (Well, maybe not exactly)

Thanks for sharing your fun childhood memory.

Lilyofthevalley - Tanya said...

I have some memories with my brothers too. :)

Anonymous said...

I gueass that it is a good thing that with age some memories fade or get revised over time. I am sure that was not a good birthday for Andrew. He & I will go out to dinner tomorrow...& no one is likely to get pushed through a door.

Abigail Kraft said...

Ouch! Through the glass door? That's crazy! I can relate to the tattle tale thing...when I was little, my brother and his friend were always doing things that I was just SURE Momma wouldn't approve of, so I found it was my duty to tell on everything that they did. They weren't very happy about that. heehee. ^_^

Thanks for sharing the story!
--Abigail