Monday, February 16, 2009

Valentne's Day Belated!

I had tried to post this Vday stuff before I left for my girls weekend (those pics to come later), but that was a NO GO! So, Happy belated Vday! Here is how the boys and I spent our Vday, (which we celebrated on the 12th).
Eli was my 1st step of the dessert helper. The boys wanted baked Alaskans. Which I hadn't made since home ec in highschool. But it was any easy recipe to remember.
Here are our ingredients. We had caramel cone sundae for our ice cream and the hostess individual sponge cakes are awesome!
Eli put a little caramel sauce in each cake for a little added something. There are lots of variations to this. And anyone who knows me, knows that I improvise a lot when I cook. I see a recipe and use as a guide, but put my own spin on it.
Most of the recipes that I found, called for putting the baked alaskans back in the freezer for 1-2hours before covering them with meringue. So, we did this up right after the boys got home from school.
The boys wanted to each be able to pick out their favorite food and have that for dinner. So, for Noah alfredo noodles, Eli mashed potatos, and Lucas mac and cheese. I see a carb theme. . . . hmmm. So, I thought chicken would go with each of those and cooked up a veggie to round it out.
The boys LOVE biscuits, so I made some heart shaped ones. They turned out well, but I tried using the scraps to make more hearts. And they didn't hold their shape as well. So, when I do this again, I will either make my own dough or leave the scraps with the heart shapes cut out as is.
Here is how they baked up.
And they boys dinner.
Lucas was step 2 dessert helper. I whipped the meringue up during dinner. And quickly stuck them in the oven for about 6-8min.
Ta-da! Is your mouth watering?!?!
Sorry there were NO leftovers!
For the boys Vday presents, I got them the musical cards, lunchables, and candy watches. I snuck the cards in their lunchboxes for a surprise. Lucas (who eats lunch at home) LOVED his card. Since I was leaving after Lucas went to school, I popped in on the boys before going out of town. Eli was saving his card for his Vday party (which I missed :( ). And Noah was heading to recess and hadn't had lunch yet.
Back to breakfast. Lucas helped me make pancakes. They were vanilla sugar.
And I attempted to make them heart shaped. But the batter was thin, but this is one of the better ones.
Noah quickly put together his present for his teacher.
He put a little note inside for her.
The helped me make Vday presents for my parents, grandparents, my sibs.
I cut out a variety of hearts out of construction paper.
And we made these fish shaped cards to go with the gifts.
And wrapped up some candy for each family. My sis-in-law Jen, tried to hide the candy from my nephews. But when Scott called to tell me thank you (really I think he just want to talk with Eli), I asked him if he was eating some of the candy. And he said ,"What candy? It was just a card." So, Jen tried to say the mailman took the candy, but I was onto her by then. So, she had to share with everyone! Nice try though Jen. Hope everyone had a great Vday! I had a blast on my girls weekend. Like I said there will be pic from that to come.

3 comments:

DomesticDivasFancy said...

Your boys are great. They seem to love cooking and crafting! They are going to make great husbands someday. You should pat yourself on the back! ;)

Anonymous said...

I promise, it was an "innocent" mistake. I really didn't know what happened to the candy! You guys are best...and the candy was very tasty:) Love you all!
Jenn

Julie said...

How creative the boys are! Thanks for our valentine's!!